[IAEP] [SLOBS] non-free activities on ASLO

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu Mar 18 14:41:28 EDT 2010

Hi David,

   > There is a growing ecosystem of non-free activities for the sugar
   > and the .xo .  Is there an official policy on hosting non-free
   > activities on activities.sugarlabs.org?

Yes.  We ratified at a SLOBS meeting that non-free activities (or
content) should *not* be hosted on ASLO, and attempted to specify
what we mean by non-free:

http://meeting.olpcorps.net/sugar-meeting/sugar-meeting.log.20091211_1002.html

[10:13:24] <cjb> MOTION: adopt http://opensource.org/docs/osd as a set
of guidelines for what is permitted on ASLO, for both software and
content, and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Good_Licenses's
opinions on specific licenses where applicable, and always asking the
SFC for advice when a particular license is under question.
[10:16:56] <mchua> seconded
[10:17:33] <mchua> yea
[10:17:35] <cjb> yea
[10:17:42] <SeanDaly> yea
[10:17:44] <tomeu> aye
[10:17:47] <walterbender> yea
[10:17:53] <bernie> yep

   > I am interested in establishing a 'market-place' for sugar
   > activities.  It would seem that we have three choises: 1. We can
   > work to incorporate it into the existing also instance.  Limited
   > firewall between commercial and non-commercial portions of the
   > project.  2. We can establish a second instance of aslo called
   > marketplace.sl.org - This establishes a firewall between the
   > non-commercial and non-commercial parts of the project. It also
   > leverages and builds up the Sugar name.  3. I, or others, can
   > establish third party markets independent of activities.sl.org.

If we continue with the policy that was voted on, I think it would be
important not to have anything inside .sugarlabs.org endorse or offer
non-free activities, which would suggest choice 3 in your list above.

Thanks,

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>