[IAEP] Need ideas for 1 hour Sugar introductory lessons

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 14:23:07 EDT 2010

Caroline,

Since you're working with a library a natural topic for a session
would be a demo of the reading related Activities.  You could start
with either Get Internet Archive Books or Get Books to demonstrate
just how many free books there are and how easy it is to get them
copied to your computer.  Then demonstrate the Read Activity and how
it supports multiple bookmarks and annotation, show some nice picture
books in DJVU format (like "Abroad") to demonstrate how much an ebook
can be like a real book (better than Kindle!), download some books
using Read Etexts and demonstrate text to speech with highlighting.
Maybe show InfoSlicer.  Show how many rare books are available.  I've
seen a bunch of stuff on PG and IA that I could read no other way.
All the Oz books.  More Jules Verne and H.G. Wells than I knew
existed.  A biography of German WWI ace Oswald Boelke.   Books using
the Bible to defend slavery, others using it to condemn slavery.  Free
science fiction books from the Baen Free Library.

I was thinking of maybe creating another FLOSS Manual on just
reading-related Activities, where to get free books, how to create
your own e-books, etc.  Sugar has a lot to offer in that area, and I
wonder if Sugar users realize that.

James Simmons