[IAEP] Response to Intervention: What is an intervention?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 12:22:24 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:47, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> I gave a brief overview of RTI here:
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI95fgBnJWI
> Having a process engineering background I found the concept of measuring,
> changing things, and tracking the response to those changes very sensible
> and straight forward.

Of course.

> However, as I read I never got a clear picture of what an intervention
> really was.

The most fundamental problem, when compounded with the fact that most
people in education don't even know what questions to ask in order to
learn something new. But we do know that if you don't ask the right
questions, you can't find the right answers. I have written about this
in the context of the XO, where one set of questions is the
conventional "bigger, faster, conventional software" set, and another
is "ruggedness, low-power, Free Software" set. In education, the
standard set of questions is given by the standardized tests and their
authorized Right Answers, which say nothing about discovery,
collaboration, deep understanding, changing the school culture, and so
on. Or about how students approach questions that don't have Right
Answers.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/