[IAEP] Response to Intervention: What is an intervention?

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Mar 12 10:47:53 EST 2010

I gave a brief overview of RTI here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI95fgBnJWI

Having a process engineering background I found the concept of measuring,
changing things, and tracking the response to those changes very sensible
and straight forward.

However, as I read I never got a clear picture of what an intervention
really was.

Today I found this website which is selling a computer program that could be
used as an intervention. Note that generally, in Boston at least,
interventions are not computer programs, they are on paper and have
instructions for the teacher and materials for the student.

But since we are a computer learning platform i'm interested in what a
computer based intervention would look like.

There are demos of quite a bit of their software. This is an interesting one
to start with:

http://www.scilearn.com/products/brainapps/hoop-nut/

Its focuses very specifically on discriminating phonemes.

This is a good video on the basics of the neuroscience. It oversimplifies a
bit but its still pretty good introduction:
http://www.scilearn.com/our-approach/the-fast-forword-program/brain-science-video/

I think this story told by a student is also a good overview of what they
are trying to do:
http://www.scilearn.com/results/success-stories/real-life-stories/willie-brown.php?video=Willie%20Brown#video

I am not endorsing this software, I just found their website and think its a
very concrete way of seeing what software that supports this type of
learning would look like.  I'm just learning myself.

Cheers,
Caroline
--
Caroline Meeks