[IAEP] [Systems] wiki design

Josh Williams josh at tucson-labs.com
Thu Mar 11 21:00:36 EST 2010

On 3/11/10 5:17 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 12:03 -0500, josh williams wrote:
>
>>  From what I could gather, Bernie was just making suggestions for what
>> a site wide navigation could look like. I actually like Bernie's idea
>> of making it more like google's universal nav. I think something like
>> the following would work well:
>>

>> Home    Wiki    Download    Activities    More>
>>
>> The more link would be a drop down of all our other sub domains.
>>
> Me gusta! I'm sure it would be possible to make all the links show up in
> a non-javascript, non-css enabled browser.

Thanks and I can definitely make it degrade nicely without css and
javascript.

>> At any rate I'm almost done with http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/
>>
> Needless to say, I think your new skin is nice and neat. I spotted some
> layout problems which you may or may not be already aware of:
>
>   (1) the content pane is now laid out in fixed width, and takes up
>       half of my screen.
>
>   (2) the "page" tab is misaligned (too mich to the left).

The content pane is set to a max width of 1020px and is fluid at smaller
widths. You're suggesting it should be wider right? Could you attach a
screen shot for both problems?
>   (3) I think the font for the links on the left is a little bit too big.

I can make these a little smaller.
>   (4) Tables are missing vertical and horizontal lines. Only happens on
>       Chromium, works fine on Firefox. See:
>
>        http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org/go/0.86/Platform_Components
>
>   (5) Tables also overflow horizontally (although it might be
>       caused by (1)).

I haven't actually styled the tables yet. The tables will overflow
horizontally on the live wiki now. You're only noticing this happen
because the font size is larger forcing the overflow. I can make the
font size smaller in the tables if you think the tables break at an
unreasonable width.
>   (6) there's too much empty space above and below the Sugar Labs logo.
>       It might be caused by the other layout problems.
>
> Note that I have a very high DPI display and therefore I configure my
> browsers with bigger than normal fonts. Most sites survive this, but a
> few break.

I think a screen shot will help for this one too. Thanks for the feedback.

>> - so any information on how to edit the main navigation would be
>> very helpful.
>>
> As Frederic Grose already suggested:
>
>   See sunjammer.sugarlabs.org:/srv/www-sugarlabs/wiki-devel/skins/ShikiWiki.php,
>   and look for<span class="pLinkbar">  at line 125.

I missed that message from Fredric, but thanks that's just what I was
looking for!

I'm contemplating removing the borders from the main content area. I've
attached a screen shot of this. I think it's more inline with
Christian's design for sugarlabs.org and it also avoids some rendering
issues browse has with borders.

Any input on this direction would be great.

Josh