[IAEP] Come to the Math 2.0 community event tonight, Wednesday March 3rd, at 9:30 ET

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 11:25:19 EST 2010

Math 2.0 Interest Group is a network of math-rich social media and
computational math communities. Last October, Caroline Meeks did a great
presentation about Sugar for the open webinar series the group holds.
Tonight, we will be talking about ways to help member communities better,
and organizing conferences and meetings in 2010-2011. I would very much like
to see people with experiences, and ideas, about community building and
grassroots collaboration in the context of technology education. This
describes many of the people in this group. Please come! Here is some
information about the event:

Time converter for your time zone: *http://1ps.us/rdf6ew*

~*~*~*~*~*
Event details

All Math 2.0 events are free and open to the public. Wednesday, March 3rd
2010 we will meet in the LearnCentral public Elluminate room at 6:30pm
Pacific / 9:30pm Eastern time:
https://sas.elluminate.com/d.jnlp?sid=lcevents&password=Webinar_Guest

I propose we get together and address some key community building themes. I
will try my best to invite leaders and representatives of Math 2.0
communities who expressed an interest before, and I would like to ask
everyone here to do the same.

I see Math 2.0 Interest Group, when it develops to the next stage, as an
alliance of communities with diverse members, interests, and projects: a
community of communities. For this to happen, we need to define some
structures for promoting conversations and collaborations.

Here are two areas, open to change, we may discuss this Wednesday. Some of
the questions about each area follow.

*Math 2.0 community representatives*

   - Self-identify contact persons - community leaders or network nodes -
   representing each Math 2.0 community as ambassadors. Questions: Where and
   how is this contact information collected and made available? What about
   individuals joining on their own?
   - Representatives describe what areas interest their community. Question:
   What is the initial list of these tags, and how do we add to it?
   - Subgroups of representatives can invite their communities to
   collaborate on projects in common areas. Question: How do we define
   subgroups? How do we identify projects in different stages of maturity
   (idea, initial building, ongoing)?
   - Representatives pass on relevant messages to their communities, such as
   event and project information. Question: Who has access to this message
   structure and how do we support highly relevant information exchange?

*Conferences and events 2010-2011*

   - For those of us presenting at events, build a "conference intro pack"
   with several rich media objects, open to collective authoring, and
   describing Math 2.0, member communities and their representatives, past and
   current projects within communities, ways to join, key terms and
   definitions. The goal is for anyone active in the Math 2.0 Interest Group to
   be able to quickly and easily put together a good presentation about the
   current state of events. Questions: Do we make this a completely open
   resource to be used by anyone? How do we organize everybody's contributions?
   - Define a better structure for the weekly events, with rotating
   moderators, rotating interesting platforms (such as 3d worlds) and a clear
   way for Math 2.0 members to identify and contact people they want to see as
   guests and hosts. Question: What is a good scheduler tool for multiple
   people scheduling events?
   - Identify conferences. Questions: What are good existing conferences to
   go to in 2010-2011, and which of us are already going? How can we help one
   another make our presentations better?
   - Plan Math 2.0 conferences. Questions: What are good venues for online
   conferences? What about face-to-face?

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
http://www.naturalmath.com

Make math your own, to make your own math.