[IAEP] [FIELDBACK] Etoys

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Mar 2 04:06:51 EST 2010

On 02/26/2010 01:29 PM, Kurt Gramlich wrote:
> * Cherry Withers<cwithers at ekindling.org>  [100226 07:42]:
>
>> Gerald,
>>
>> It's definitely a balancing act trying to get them to focus on finishing up
>> something and getting them to explore. Once they realize that they
>> can affect the object by scripts they just want to do everything they can
>> possibly do in one sitting (dragging and dropping tiles in one script window
>> ..then I'm in fire fighting mode). Too much resulted in chaos in my class.
>> Not doing THAT again. I now give them some time to go nuts on exploration
>> then pull them back in to finish a project. Now I'm introducing just a max
>> of two concepts (or tiles) in one 40min. session.

And 40 minutes are short :/ I definitely have learned by now that you
have to teach smaller pieces so the concepts are understood well. I will
hand out Sugar on Stick [1] to my learners this week and I am very
excited how that will effect their learning curve. They have time to
explore at home and I am sure this will advance my learners quickly.

>> Kathleen Harness has really good lesson plans for teaching one concept at a
>> time: www.etoysillionois.org

Thanks for sharing this great resource. I really like the step by step
tutorials made by waveplace [2]. That helped me a lot to get into Etoys.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick
[2] http://waveplace.com/resources/courseware/