[IAEP] [POLL] Non Sugar Platform activities in Activity Library

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon Mar 1 12:25:08 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 11:11:24AM -0600, James Simmons wrote:
> Aleksey,
>
> My thought was that we could include the JRE in SoaS and in Sugar on
> the XO 1.5 but other than that provide no support for creating
> Activities in Java.  Sort of like we do with Gnash.  You could write a
> limited sort of Activity in Flash using hulahop and that subset of
> Flash that Gnash supports, but it isn't something we encourage.
>
> Maybe the one thing we do is provide some way in activity.info to
> specify that the Activity runs a Java applet.  At startup we could
> check for the existence of the JRE and if it isn't found display a
> message.

something similar was already implemented in 0sugar
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Documentation_Team/Services/Activity_Developers_Guide#Using_services
but 0sugar tries to install(if PackageKit is installed) or download
required dependency and if nothing was useful just displays an error.
So what solution #2 from http://idea.olpcorps.net/drupal5/ideatorrent/idea/20/
is about.

--
Aleksey