[IAEP] Thank you

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 10:04:27 EST 2010

Hi,

Sikshana (http://www.sikshana.org) won a best NGO award from the citizens of
Bangalore for its initiative to improve the quality of public education:

http://citizensalliance.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/good-samaritans-some-of-
bangalore-recognised

One of the key empowerment initiative in Sikshana revolved around using Etoys
on a memory stick (as a personal "soft" computer) to get children to express
their ideas freely unhindered by the fear running out of (precious) supplies
like paper, pen or paint. The pilot started in a handful of schools in 2007
and then spread, by popular demand from teachers, to 120 schools today with
many more waiting in the pipeline. Details are in
http://sikshana.blogspot.com.

Sikshana is a tiny organization with only 15 employees guiding 250 school and
30k children. That we were able to scale to this level is because of the
support of patrons and volunteers across the world.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all developers, past and present,
of Squeak and Etoys and let them know that their work is making a big
difference in the lives of middle school children in the remote village schools
in India.

Thank you .. Subbu