[IAEP] FW: [support-gang] Voting Continues: Gnome vs Sugar -- The judgement day

Kevin Cole kjcole at dc.sugarlabs.org
Mon Jun 28 06:37:19 EDT 2010

20+ years of "binomial nomenclature" thinking have left a lot of people
prewired to a certain type of drill-down searching for applications and
commands within those applications. (For example, Firefox lives within the
Internet menu, and I forget what the official name for the "File, Edit,
View, Tools, Help" layout of the menu bar is, but its ubiquity leads to a
certain familiarity.) While that's not the whole story I imagine its a big
part of it.

On Jun 27, 2010 10:29 AM, "Sascha Silbe" <sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org>
wrote:

Excerpts from Caryl Bigenho's message of Sat Jun 26 21:29:50 +0200 2010:

> I agree with Sameer and Marife. From an educator's point of view, having
both Sugar and Gnome av...
I'm curious. What's the reason some people - especially adults - prefer
Gnome?
Do they like the UI better?
Do they need/prefer specific applications and it's too cumbersome to start
them from the Terminal?
Is Sugar too limited in some aspect?
Is it that Sugar is currently marketed as being "for kids" and they
(mis)take that to mean "not for adults"?

Sascha

IAEP at lists.sugarlabs.org