[IAEP] [SLOBs] Ooo4Kids logo request

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Jun 26 01:34:16 EDT 2010

El Fri, 25-06-2010 a las 12:21 -0400, Mel Chua escribió:
> Continuing our "move discussion to list" adventures...
>
> Bernie brought up an OOo4Kids request to display our logo. Tomeu and I
> were unable to find the original text of the request - what is the
> project asking for? We're blocking until we get that text - does anyone
> know where to find it?
>
> A related motion, from Bernie:
>
> MOTION: To pre-approve the entire class of requests such as "can I put
> Sugar Labs logo in my partners/acknowledgments page?", as they are very
> frequent and hard to abuse for bad purposes.
>
> For the record: if we passed this, we'd need to agree on a specific
> change to our TM policy (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trademark).
>
> Discussion with Tomeu in #sugar-meeting just now led to the following
> conclusions (I'll speak for myself here, but I think Tomeu agrees):
>
> 1. We should automatically let other parties display *their* endorsement
> of Sugar - for instance, "I <3 and support Sugar Labs"
> banners/buttons/badges, because that is about the other party saying
> something about SL.
>
> 2. The other way around - something that implies that SL endorses
> something else, is exactly why we have the TM usage guidelines and
> request procedure, and Ooo4Kids should follow it - if their request
> falls in one of the already-automated categories, then sure, it's
> automated... if it isn't, then it will need to be voted on.
>
> It's not clear whether Ooo4Kids is asking for #1 or #2, so we're
> ultimately still blocking on finding the text of that request. Please
> help! (If you know who the original requestor of this motion is, please
> let them know to get in touch with us.)

This is the original "request":

<ericb2> hello
<ericb2> just FYI
<ericb2> http://www.educoo.org/pages/partenaires/
<ericb2> Adam sent me some machines, and you are counted as partner
<ericb2> you means "Sugar Labs"
<ericb2> if ever you disagree, just tell us, and we'll remove the logo,
and everything you'll ask to
<ericb2> thanks for forwarding the info to Adam and other
<bernie> I do agree
<bernie> except our logo with a black bg looks horrible :-)
<bernie> I'll ask the board to confirm they agree with this partnership,
but I'm sure they will say ok
<ericb2> ah, sorry. In fact, this is the first try, and we'll probably
improve. e.g. the UTBM logo is a fake, and I sent one correct to Fred
(ht eguy who will maintain the page)
<ericb2> ok, thanks a lot
<bernie> I sent an email asking if this usage of our logo is ok without
requesting a TM license

For the small things like this, I think anything much more sophisticated
than "can I put the SL logo in our partners page?" + "sure, go ahead!"
seems overkill to me.

Besides the waste of time, I'm afraid that acting like a bunch of
paranoid attorneys when interacting with our partners and contributors
would hurt Sugar Labs' public image way more than the tiny chance of our
logo receiving an undeserved acknowledgment somewhere.