[IAEP] [support-gang] Tonight's Question: Read vs Read ETexts?

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 11:14:13 EDT 2010

Read Etexts reads Plain Text files from Project Gutenberg plus RTF
format files from the Baen Free Library which it converts to Plain
Text before reading.  It is a pure Python Activity that is not derived
from anything else.  It also has a Book tab when opened from the
Activity ring (not resumed) and this lets you browse and download
titles from Project Gutenberg.  You can highlight and annotate text,
plus you can give a book as many bookmarks as you like.  Finally, it
can do text to speech with highlighting of the words being spoken.

If you're having problems opening PDFs with Read (and getting them
opened in Browse instead) try using Start With rather than Start from
the pop-up menu the Journal gives you.  Once you've successfully
opened a book with Read the icon in the Journal entry should change to
the Read icon and from then on you can simply Start the book from the
Journal.

The same trick works with Read Etexts.  The books you download using
Read Etexts will have the Read Etexts icon from the beginning.

James Simmons