[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Proposal release management

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri Jun 25 02:52:28 EDT 2010

On 06/24/2010 09:37 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Michael Stone<michael at laptop.org>  wrote:
>> Perhaps we should instead be talking about whatever role
>> describes the people who /do/ care about the code that goes in?
>
> Programmer. Implementor. Product manager. :-)
>
> I think the view is that features have their own "drivers" (motivated
> programmers making sure it gets done) the RM keeps things orderly as
> they get "merged" or "landed" into the master branch.
>
> The above is just my limited understanding -- proper SLers probably
> know much better.
>
> cheers,

Of course the release manager is interested in having a stable and
releasable software at the end of the release cycle. So, he sets the
freezing dates and makes sure that those are not violated.

The actual code review happens by the module maintainers. They are
responsible for the quality of their modules.

And for accepting which feature goes in, we have the Feature process
[1]. A defined process to make sure people are able to contribute their
features in a fair manner. Btw, the basic idea has been adopted from the
Feadora Feature process.

The idea is: the responsibilities are distributed and handled by the
persons with the expertise to do so.

In short: the release manager gives a frame for the development cycle
and makes sure people are able to contribute in different ways and that
at the end of the cycle we have a software that is stable and fun to
use. Nothing spectacular, but important to keep the ball rolling.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Policy