[IAEP] Notes from OLPC/Waveplace Health Discussion

Beth Santos beth at waveplace.org
Tue Jun 22 18:27:08 EDT 2010

Hi all,

To those who attended- thanks for a GREAT talk about public health on the
XO! Those of you who couldn't be there, be sure to keep yourself posted on
our listserv, where we'll continue the dialogue.

See notes below about our Public Health meeting from Tuesday, June 22nd at
4pm EST.

Next steps:

   - Add more ideas under each of the OLPC Health unit suggestions over the
   *next week*.
   - Divide topics among people and build units over the next *month or two* to
   create an "arsenal" of public health curricula that can be used in current
   and future laptop projects.

Ready, set, go!

Anyone not on the health at waveplace.org listserv who would like to take part
in the topic identifying and project executing, send me an email and I will
add you.

Beth

Attendees:
Beth Santos
Caryl Bigenho
Jessica Curtis
George Hunt
Steve Sargon
Randall Caton
David Cullen
Samuel Klein (chat only)
Mika Matsuzaki (chat only)

   - Interest in making public health programs for the XO
      - Focus on Etoys
         - Will allow teachers who are not familiar with computers to edit
         programs so they are culturally relevant
         - Will also allow students to interact with the lessons more
         - Does not NEED to be Etoys-focused
         - Waveplace: divides units into ten lessons, each lesson is about
         50 minutes in length (not necessarily all time used on the
computer, some
         interaction off the computer too)
         - We can take on 5+ units and create ten lessons for each unit (for
         example, the sanitation unit includes lessons on hand washing, water
         filtration, etc)
      - Haiti, São Tomé- both locations that could really use public health
      programs on the XO NOW
   - Topics on the OLPC Health Wiki (can structure from here)- via
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Health_Content
      -
         - Physiology <http://go/Physiology> and body systems/functions
            - Reproduction???
            - Family planning?? Caution with these, could be culturally
            insensitive/irrelevant
            - Tobacco and smoking (also under air quality)
            - Breast feeding
               - Steve's wife- La Leche Legue
            - Water and sanitation <http://go/Water_and_sanitation>
            - water testing and filtration
               - in Haiti there are good and bad wells
               - see microscope talk below- we can compare good and bad
               water by number of microbes, color of water, etc.
               - Beth will get in touch with MIT students that created their
               own water filtration kits for kids to use
               - http://www.water1st.org/work/bangladesh/update.html
            - village-scale water treatment
            - latrines- Jess-- water-sealed toilets
            - Solar-powered water still
            - Diarrheal diseases
            - hand-washing
               -
               http://www.kidzworldespanol.com/articulo/792-lavarse-las-manos
            - Hygiene- hand-washing could also come into play here
         - Nutrition <http://go/Nutrition>
            - "Food Force" on the XO explores the topic of world hunger
            - Diet planner
            - Vitamin A and blindness
         - Infectious diseases
            - Make sure to focus on both communicable AND non-communicable
            diseases
            - H1N1
            - MALARIA
               - mosquito nets
               - São Tomé has been able to end death from malaria under age
               5
               - "Free from Malaria" game on the XO
            - HIV/AIDS
         - Indoor cooking and air quality
            - Environment/deforestation/reforestation
            - Pollution
            - Smoking
         - First aid and "field" medicine
         - Disaster Relief <http://go/Disaster_Relief>
      - Also see more topics on http://www.tchd.org/kids.html
         - http://www.hesperian.org/publications_download.php (Where There
         Is No Doctor)
             - Ways to present info
      - Interactive lessons
         - take the kids outside or doing something physical
      - Data storing/importing
         - perhaps using Kedama
         - Netlogo/Starlogo
         - health simulations where kids can play
      - Get local involvement and ownership-- make sure content is *culturally
      appropriate and relevant*
      - Encourage local institutions and governments to adapt the content
      and presentation of content to their needs
      - Use the XO as a microscope- camera has a resolution of 720 x 480
         - Kids can use the microscope to explore micro/macrobiotic things
         in water, for example
         - "seeing the invisible"
      - Mike Dawson's Afghanistan stuff
         -
         http://www.paiwastoon.af/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=23&lang=en
         - Teachers and other locals would be able to make their own
         programs

---
*Beth Santos*
Outreach Coordinator