[IAEP] Crazy Idea

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Fri Jun 11 20:14:59 EDT 2010

Hi,

   >> Some schools are getting iPod touches (??? is that the plural)
   >> for their elementary schools to use. Apple has a big push with
   >> this and has several demo projects going. I saw one at CUE in
   >> March. Very impressive!  All they need to make it perfect is
   >> some Sugar Apps!

   > Single user Sugar Activities in Python should be fairly easy to
   > port.  Smalltalk, no problem. Full collaboration would be a lot
   > of work, due to its extensive use of Linux-specific libraries.

Sounds like you're unfamiliar with Apple's ban on interpreted
languages:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/apple-scratch-app

   "An Application may not itself install or launch other executable
   code by any means, including without limitation through the use of
   a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or
   otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded or used in an
   Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s
   Documented APIs and built-in interpreter(s)."

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child