[IAEP] NOW! Contributors Program Mtg (#olpc-meeting, 2:45PM Boston Time, Friday)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Jun 11 14:47:07 EDT 2010

Please all join us right now reviewing the latest OLPC/Sugar community
projects over IRC Live Chat:
http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* Fast Review of the 7 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
 join us advocating for, and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

 1. 3D graphics testing - Ashland, Virginia
 2. Peru Rainforest Volunteers
 3. CNC milling machine integration - Media Lab, Cambridge, Massachusetts
 4. Prakash Educational Software Package - Patiala/Punjab, India
 5. OLPC for Paramaribo, Suriname / Peace Corps
 6. 6th/7th Grade Mesh Network Tutoring Program - Springfield, Massachusetts
 7. Peace Corps Zambia Project - Northern Zambia

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
 http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
 http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
 http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

1. 3D graphics testing - Ashland, Virginia
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=62754
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 1 XO-1.5 over ? months

   Project Objectives:
   Improve usabilty of overall XO usability and 3D graphics testing.

2. Peru Rainforest Volunteers
   http://somosazucar.org
   http://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dgz5x2t3_1f9qrrtwj
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=63004
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 2 XO-1.5s over ? months

   Project Objectives:
   "Malla es un taller itinerante, diseñado para fomentar la apropiación
    tecnológica en comunidad."*
   "Malla is a travelling workshop, designed to ease technology
appropriation
    in community."

   1. contacto con la COMUNIDAD local ( contacting local communities )
   2. levantamiento de información BRECHA DIGITAL ( measure digital gap
      metrics )
   3. sesiones de aprendizaje y práctica AZÚCAR ( learning sessions with
      Sugar )

3. CNC milling machine integration - Media Lab, Cambridge, Massachusetts
   http://makeyourbot.org
   http://makeyourbot.org/mantis9-1
   http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/sets/72157624026918475/
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=63028
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests  XO over ? months

   Project Objectives:
   "David Carr and Henry Holtzman at the Media Lab need an
   XO-1.5 so that they can integrate their $87 CNC milling machine with
   TurtleArt!"

4. Prakash Educational Software Package - Patiala/Punjab, India
   http://infernotech.co.cc
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=63100
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 2 XOs over ? months

   Project Objectives:
   Sugarize Prakash Educational Software Package (ESP) to run on XO laptops.
   Educational Software Package (ESP) prototypes have been initially
developed
   using Microsoft’s C# and WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) and the
   package includes applications catering to the learning competencies
   (reading, writing, listening and speech) of primary school children.
   In addition, ESP also has a Multi-Point application that enables engaging
   children in an application using more than once mice input to promote
   collaborative learning.

5. OLPC for Paramaribo, Suriname / Peace Corps
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=63211
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 1 XO over 8 months

   Project Objectives:
   Create a compact printed hand-out that explains the OLPC concept, the
   basics of the learning approach, and about the XO machine. The
   hand-out will use pictures and several local languages.  Background:

http://www.sofos.nl/blog/2008/12/24/olpc-one-laptop-per-child-in-suriname/

6. 6th/7th Grade Mesh Network Tutoring Program - Springfield, Massachusetts
   http://www.grade6xotutoring.webs.com
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=63233
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 2 XOs over 6 months

   Project Objectives:
   Our objectives are to help students in a younger grade than us (we will
   be in 7th and helping 6th), do better in school by using computers and
   communicating with each other through mesh networking, while at the same
   time, sharing outcomes; new ways of teaching with the XO, on our project
   website. With this concept, everyone will benefit from our project.

7. Peace Corps Zambia Project - Northern Zambia
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=63474
   [SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 1-5 XOs over 20 months

   Project Objectives:
   Difficulties arise as rural Zambian children strive
   for diverse and far-reaching opportunities beyond farming, carpentry,
domestic
   house work, or working at the local tuck shop. One of the most
substantial
   contributors to this grass-hut ceiling, holding so many rural Zambian
children
   back, is a lack of access to both technology and the instruction of
its use.

   This project’s design allows students to learn about
   computers, their applications, and computer safety and maintenance.
Through
   both the XO laptops and the instruction from myself and local Zambian
   co-teachers, who will also be learning from me in order for the spread of
   knowledge to continue even after my departure from Zambia (two years
from now).

   Armed with U.S. graduate-level computer courses, a
   lifetime of computer use, and human resources with whom to consult, I am
   qualified to teach computer literacy, and I have seen first hand the
potential
   benefits offered by computer literacy courses.

   With their newly acquired computer knowledge and
   skills, the 8th and 9th grade children in Kapoko Zone
   (includes 5 schools: 4 government and 1 community) will be better
prepared for
   secondary school (the point at which many Zambian children are first
exposed to
   computers), college (the point at which computer skills are
essential), and the
   professional word (opening them up to a plethora of job opportunities).

   Finally, the Peace Corps computer literacy project for
   Kapoko zone schools (62474) serves to provide sustainable knowledge
transfer
   and continuing education. In addition to teaching 8th and 9th
   grade students computer literacy, I will be training interested teachers
   through allowing them to co-teach the course.