[IAEP] maintaining activities (was Re: Too many open fronts?)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jun 10 02:41:40 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 06:17, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>> El Wed, 09-06-2010 a las 02:59 -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis escribió:
>>> However, the 20month+ old F9/0.82, os802 build remains the official XO-1 build.
>>
>> It's just a formality, nobody has been doing any work on it for years.
>
> To clarify: I am working on it. and it mainly helps deployments that
> are implementing security. It is taking ages because, well, I am doing
> the work of 5 people.
>
> I share Yiorios' concerns. Both OLPC and SL are overreaching wildly.
>
> We have to focus on polish, on getting something useful in the hands
> of children. On making a difference there. We cannot leave XO-1.5
> unfinished. We have to hear the SoaS crowd when they point out that
> very few activities are shippable.

I agree in that focusing is very important. But paradoxically, you can
be in a situation in which individuals are focused on their work but
the organization as a whole isn't focused at all.

To have focus at the team level we need someone who takes a step back
from the task at hand and takes a look at where we are and where we
are supposed to go.

I think teams provide a space for that and allows for different people
to take that reflective role at periodic times.

We used to have an Activity Team and it actually saw the importance of
maintaining existing activities so had processes for adoption and for
finding the resources. Unfortunately, as often happens in efforts like
ours, the person driving that effort had to attend to other matters
and the team languished.

But we still have people reading our mailing lists with the skills and
interest to maintain activities and update them to work on other
platforms than the XO-1 with 8.2.x, but we lack focus.

Can we find someone who wants to coordinate the team?

It's not such a big role in terms of work, the responsibilities are
the following:

- keep the mission statement updated in the wiki page
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team ,

- keep the members list updated,

- call for biweekly meetings and moderate them,

- publish meeting minutes and logs.

But this relatively small effort can bring the focus we need.

Regards,

Tomeu