[IAEP] [Marketing] OLPC rules out Windows for XO-3

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 11:53:14 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>   > Linux has been running well on ARM for a long long time.
>>>
>>> Yeah.  In specific, today I got Sugar running on the ARM SoC we'll be
>>> using for XO-1.75 and XO-3, and it didn't require any porting at all.
>>> It would have happened yesterday, but I had to work out how to get
>>> past the Sugar intro/login screen without a keyboard.  :-)
>>
>> That's cool! A couple of questions....
>>
>> What's the plan for the boot loader, is it planned to use OF still and
>> port it to the ARM platform or is it planned to use one of the more
>> mainline ARM bootloaders such as uboot or the like.
>>
>> Also what's the plan with the virtual keyboard support in sugar. It
>> might be worth looking at the MeeGo/Moblin based VKB stuff as a basis.
>> Its skinnable and supported various inputs via scim and integrates
>> with that. Let me know if you need more info as I've been packaging
>> some of this up in Fedora as part of my work with the aforementioned
>> UIs in Fedora.
>>

> At one point I had tried to evaluate the possible virtual/on-screen
> keyboards that could be used for Sugar, and at that time it looked
> like each used their own keyboard layout data format. Something which
> leverages existing mechanisms like SCIM/M17N/IBus/etc would certainly
> be an improvement. Could you point me to the source code repo of VKB -
> I would love to take a look.

I'm not sure if this is the the best current upstream because of the
changes in the Moblin/MeeGo side of things but the git here is
relatively recent

fvkbd is the actual virtual keyboard. This is also in Fedora.
http://git.moblin.org/cgit.cgi/fvkbd/

scim-panel-vkb-gtk is the scim overlay stuff. It will be in Fedora 14
and likely pushed back to F-12/F13.
http://git.moblin.org/cgit.cgi/scim-panel-vkb-gtk/

Peter