[IAEP] One Laptop per Child and Marvell Join Forces to Redefine Tablet Computing for Students Around the World

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 08:19:16 EDT 2010

Hi Chris,

>   > http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/one-laptop-per-child-and-marvell-join-forces-to-redefine-tablet-computing-for-students-around-the-world-95007559.html
>   > The press release doesn't say so, but the tablet will run Sugar
>   > and GNOME over Fedora.
>
> A belated follow-up:  I don't know why you said this, because we've
> made no such decision yet.  Sugar's a safe bet, but there are large
> obstacles to running either Fedora (no ARM port yet!) or GNOME (not
> suited for touchscreen use) on the tablets.  We'll let you know when
> we do announce the software stack for XO-1.75 and XO-3.

There is an ARM port for Fedora, and it happens to work very well with
the Marvell ARM chips with at least two contributors from Marvell
helping out. The Fedora ARM port is good enough that it was used
straight up as the basis for the MeeGo ARM support. The only thing
that's missing is a kernel for the specific device as the arm kernels
can be very device specific but I doubt that will be a major issue as
that is currently the case for the XO-1 and XO-1.5 (of course I wish
its wasn't but there's still outstanding kernel patches needed for
event the XO-1). The Fedora ARM movement is growing very quickly with
a full koji build farm of 20 odd buildsystems and an increasing
community.