[IAEP] [Marketing] OLPC rules out Windows for XO-3

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Thu Jun 3 18:09:17 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Android is not in the picture.  You can run plain old standard Fedora
> GNU/Linux, complete with its thousands of packages, on an ARM computer.
> Same with Ubuntu and several other distros.

And, in fact, ARM-based Linux distributions date to the Netwinder in 1999 or so:
   http://www.netwinder.org/arm_info.html
Jim Gettys et al also did some of the pioneering work on ARM Linux at
Digital/Compaq Research Labs in the Itsy/Skiff/iPAQ days.  (The second
in that list is why my personal laptop is still named 'skiffserv'.)

Linux has been running well on ARM for a long long time.  Robust
Python for ARM dates at least to 2001 or so
(http://www.vanille-media.de/site/index.php/projects/python-for-arm-linux/).
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )