[IAEP] We NEED YOU! Sugar / Open1to1 development sprint at FOSSed 2010!

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Jun 3 12:49:42 EDT 2010

Hi all!

We really need you!  Many of you may not be aware, but the Open1to1
project is really beginning to gain some traction.  Open1to1 was developed
with the idea of creating an image and imaging solution for schools
wishing to deploy Linux and open source software on netbooks/laptops in
their schools.  Many schools are moving quite quickly to 1 to 1
computing...with students having a laptop/netbook assigned to them.  In
the Northeast, particularly in Maine there are thousands of netbooks with
the Open1to1 image in the hands of students.  This is expanding quite
rapidly as other schools from other areas begin to come on board.  We want
to take that to the next level.  Currently Open1to1 seems to be mostly in
the hands of middle and high school students, but many have expressed an
interest in using it in the lower grades.  In talking with Caroline Meeks,
we've come to realize that we may have a great opportunity here to get
Sugar working on the Open1to1 image and thus increase the distribution of
both!  The possibilities are tremendous.

Here's another benefit.  We're hosting a Sugar/Open1to1 dev sprint at
FOSSed 2010.  FOSSed is a Free and Open Source Software in EDucation
conference now in its 8th year!  Educators from all over descend on Gould
Academy in Bethel, Maine for 3 days of hands on learning, networking, and
fun!  As a developer, you'll have access to all these folks.  You can sit
and talk with them...find out what's happening in schools with
technology....find out what they want for features...what works...what
doesn't and so much more!  It's a win-win-win situation!  (For those of
you who are real Unix geeks...did I mention that Jon "Maddog" Hall will be
there?)  Maddog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Hall_%28programmer%29)
has been to FOSSed several times although in the past couple years had
been unable to attend due to conflicts, but this year he's coming back!
We're looking forward to his sessions and help.

So....we want you!  The cost is inexpensive ($225 covers all
room/board/meals...and you will eat like a KING)....we really would like
to have your help...so...visit   http://www.fossed.com and register today!
 (where it asks for Registration Type....select "Sugar/Open1to1 Developers
Summit" and we'll take care of the rest!)  Any questions?  Let me know
copperdoggy at gmail.com

Hope you can join us!    http://www.fossed.com

David N. Trask
FOSSed 2010