[IAEP] [SLOBS] [PROJECT PROPOSAL REQUEST] Sugar Creation Kit

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 15:34:35 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> El Fri, 23-07-2010 a las 08:00 -0400, Walter Bender escribió:
>> Satellit (Tom Gilliard) has submitted a request to have the Sugar
>> Creation Kit become an official Sugar Labs project and consequently be
>> listed on the sidebar of the wiki (See email below). Could we discuss
>> this proposal by email (since we are unlikely to find a time to meet
>> as a group over the next few weeks due to conflicting travel
>> schedules?
>
> I'm +1 on approving this project.

I too am in favor its inclusion. It fills in a gap in our ability to
distribute Sugar and Tom has been a dedicated and responsive
maintainer.

> However, I have one small concern of license compliance: does the ISO
> include source code for all the GPL software, or alternatively a written
> offer to provide the source code on demand?

It would be great if the ISO included all the tools necessary to build
Sugar, not just the source code itself.

> Assuming that SoaS already solved the GPL compliance issue on its own,
> the problem may exist only for activities. If we're being sloppy in
> providing source code on ASLO, I wouldn't put the burden of rectifying
> the situation on Tom Gilliard.

Let's solve the problem of ASLO at its source.

> I doubt there's a concrete possibility of Sugar Labs ever being sued for
> license breach due to Sugar Creation Kit. This is just a reminder that,
> in the spirit of the GPL, we should strive to ensure that source code
> reaches our users.
>

> PS: with this, we're already at 3 projects. it seems that we're going to
> have the "problem" of too many Projects in the front-page sooner than
> expected! :)

Once we have more projects than teams, I will start to worry. :)

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs