[IAEP] Humane Reader is a $20 8-bit PC for TVs

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Jul 20 19:40:07 EDT 2010

C. Scott Ananian wrote on Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:25:55 -0400
> I suspect the inventors added up some prices and reduced by some
> arbitrary factor to include "volume".  My guesstimate says $20 for the
> electronics BOM alone, not including all the other costs of
> manufacturing.

There are details in some slides in the presentation linked at the end
of http://humaneinfo.com/

The problem is the opposite - this thing at $20 is too expensive for
what it does. I enjoy minimal systems more than anybody else, but the
idea that poor people will be happy with this is just silly. At least
the $12 computer (Famicom/NES clones) has color. An SD adaptor for those
(and the equivalent software) would be extremely cheap.

-- Jecel