[IAEP] Sugar Community (was Re: [SLOBS] Sugar Labs 2010 Goals Review)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 23:01:06 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 15:04, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:

>>> "Open to critique" isn't quite the same as "responsive to critique".
> [...]
>>> For an end-of-year report, I'd like to see instances enumerated where
>>> SugarLabs actually internalized some outside critique and responded in
>>> a positive way -- some concrete change made to the UI, or Sugar, or to
> [...]
>> I think you're mostly correct, but this is endemic to how a community
>> works. One can't expect Sugar Labs to react to criticism like a business
>> would (would it?).
> [...]
>> The most effective way to influence a community is becoming part of it
> [...]
>> Sadly, it doesn't seem to work so well for non-technical folks. I can't

I would like to see more of an effort to create places for students
and teachers, maybe even parents and other family, to collaborate,
discuss, share experiences...Few of them would want to join the
developers in the technical discussion, but a lot of them would have
something to say about how something could be used.

For example, there was some discussion of touchscreens in this thread,
with virtual keyboards. I want to see virtual music keyboards and
other such tactile interfaces. Players of a wide variety of classical,
pop, electronic, and folk instruments have a lot to tell us that we
can't think up without them. If I could get a pressure sensor hooked
up to the sound port, it would be possible to make a touch-screen
device into a Midi breath controller. My son and daughter in the video
games industry can tell you about multitouch game controls.

I have no idea what the children of Peru or Afghanistan might ask of
us in hardware or software that we haven't though of, but I bet they
will.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/