[IAEP] [SLOBS] Sugar Labs 2010 Goals Review

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Wed Jul 14 17:17:10 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Tim McNamara
<paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
> I think it's highly inappropriate to say that eating your own dogfood means
> that software developers, or even teachers, should use Sugar. Sugar is an

I (personally) view this as an important part of Sugar's scalability
goals.  "Low floors, high ceilings."  It seems that you and I are just
debating where exactly the ceiling lies. I find it personally
objectionable to suggest a kid in Peru use software which I'm not
willing to use myself.  For my part, the promise of "View Source" --
and of Pippy patches I wrote and the TurtleScript project I'm current
hacking on -- was that there be no artificial barriers between
"developers" and "kids".  But that's just my perspective.

Clearly opinions differ.  Since we're just evaluating a (vague) goal
statement, not deciding some dogmatic principle, for the moment I'm
just suggesting that we more precisely evaluate the "dogfood" goal by
describing concretely how far we've managed to raise the ceiling.  Who
can use Sugar now on a daily basis who couldn't last year?

Making the answers more precise than "I think we're doing well here"
will help us better evaluate our progress towards our goal, and
suggest strategies to continue its approach. (Or even to debate
exactly where the goalpost is, if it's felt we've gone too far.)
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )