[IAEP] [SLOBS] Sugar Labs 2010 Goals Review

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 13 11:04:06 EDT 2010

Hey Bernie,

On 13 Jul 2010, at 15:08, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:

> El Mon, 12-07-2010 a las 23:35 -0300, Gonzalo Odiard escribió:
>
>> I started the evaluation, but didn't continue.
>> Is a larger task than I can do with the time I have today.
>> Particularly, because it should be working with new and the old
>> toolbar.
>
> I've asked two Activity Central developers to upgrade Pippy and Physics
> to the new toolbars.

FWIW Physics-5 is out with new toolbar support among other things. So was Akash from AC?

> Record should come next. With all the core
> activities already converted, supporting the old toolbars becomes less
> important.

Well, I think we still need to support old toolbars for a while (a year, 18 months) unfortunately, until major deployments have moved to a build with Sugar 0.86 or better. Releasing an Activity that won't run on the majority of machines in kids hands is not much of a motivation (to me at least).

> I agree with you that implementing full keyboard navigability to the
> entire Sugar UI is quite a challenge. Luckily, it can be broken up in
> smaller chunks: toolbars, favourites view, journal...

Yes, needs to be tackled step by step, there is also the interesting tangent of touch only devices pulling in a different set of navigability goals.

Regards,
--Gary