[IAEP] Scenarios for licensing our trademarks

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Fri Jan 29 10:34:26 EST 2010

[Again restricting post to iaep because I cannot cross-post]

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 03:59:09PM +0100, Sean DALY wrote:

> If we extend our trademarks use freely, we 1) run the risk of losing
> them 2) will be unable to build awareness of the brand.
The same is true of the opposite and I fear this is where we're
currently heading for. If derivatives cannot use our name (see [1] for
an example I personally consider ridiculous) or need to jump through
considerable hoops they will simply choose a different one, excluding
our name from part of the market.

I'm sure we both have the same goal and I certainly appreciate your hard
work on this. But I think a more liberal trademark policy would benefit
us much more than a firm one. I hope we can agree on some middle ground
between the (highly successful!) Debian one and the Mozilla one
(successful as well, but starting to get competition from the Debian
equivalents like iceweasel).

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trademark_case_studies#.24DISTRO

CU Sascha

--