[IAEP] ubuntu-sugar-remix release.

David Farning dfarning at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 25 13:20:31 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 01:38:46PM -0600, David Farning wrote:
>
>> I would like to encourage mentors to get involved in the project. Much
>> of our time and energy is spent getting students involved in the
>> project.  It would be great if a few people could step up and
>> volunteer as mentors for them.
>
> Can you elaborate on that, please? What do you expect from mentors and how
> would one volunteer? Would they earn some kind of sweat equity as well (like
> the students)? etc.

I am not good at hypotheticals, I tend to get carried away....  Before
answering I thought we should establish a baseline case from which to
learn.

So, I am happy to announce that we have our first student-mentor pair
-- Alexander and Sascha!  The program will be closely based on GSOC --
no need to reinvent the wheel -- adapted for our needs.

"My hypothesis is that we can increase reliability and speed by getting
rid of the squashfs overlay by having the bootloader work with a
standard file system such as ext4 or btrfs.  Along the way, I would
like to learn about the pros and cons of single vs. dual file systems.
Can we reduce complexity and increase reliability by using
a single file system.  This includes the effect of multiple partitions
on solid state wear levelling. vs have the system stuff sit on a read
only partition and the userdata sitting on a read write
partition.  Basically taking hot-plug to its limit as students pull
out the sticks at random:("

The next step will be establishing feedback between Sascha and
Alexander to create a more formal project specification which takes
into account:

a) The experience and technical background of the Alexander and Sascha.
b) The time available to work on the project.

david