[IAEP] [SLOBS] Fwd: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-01-14

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Jan 14 16:45:55 EST 2010

On 01/14/2010 03:06 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Mel Chua<mel at melchua.com>  wrote:
>> Fyi, from
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_meeting_2010-01-14 -
>> possibly something to come up at tomorrow morning's SLOBs meeting.
>>
>> ==== Sugar on a Stick ====
>> * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Sugar_on_a_Stick
>> * http://sdz.fedorapeople.org/kickstart/sugar-on-a-stick.ks
>> * '''QUESTION:''' Does the Board approve the use of Fedora trademarks
>> for this spin?
>> ** Board grants trademark usage for this spin
>> * '''NEXT ACTIONS''':
>> ** Paul to follow up with Sugar Labs people to get clear understanding
>> around the trademark status of ''Sugar'' or ''Sugar on a Stick''
>> ** Board will revisit the status of the spin at such time as Sugar Labs
>> finalizes their trademarks
>
> Did the question regarding translations come up? Is a translation
> considered "substantially unmodified" or would some action needed to
> be taken by Fedora in order to create a Sugar on a Stick image in,
> say, German?
>
> -walter

I just got an email from Paul Frields (sent to me and Greg
DeKoenigsberg) as a followup to this that I'm forwarding here with his
permission - it doesn't directly answer your question, Walter, but it
sounds like they want to make sure Fedora is using the Sugar trademarks
correctly first:

----

Greg's already aware of this, but the Board wants to make sure that we
(Fedora) are acting in good faith in having a Sugar on a Stick spin.

Notes from today's meeting:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_meeting_2010-01-14#Spin_approvals

Basically, the questions are these:

1.  Does Sugar Labs *currently* own the Sugar on a Stick trademark?

2a. If not, are they comfortable with our using the name for this
     release, and revisiting next release to make sure we're in
     adherence with their guidelines?

2b. If so, do the level of modifications in Sebastian's SoaS spin make
     it ineligible for their trademark?

Let me know if I should relay these questions on to Walter Bender or a
list.

-- Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/ gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC
6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717 http://redhat.com/ - - - -
http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/ irc.freenode.net: stickster @