[IAEP] dealing with mailing lists

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Jan 13 03:14:37 EST 2010

On 01/12/2010 08:55 PM, Marten Vijn wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 17:58 +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this message is to share my concern with the fact that people that
>> could play a very important role in Sugar Labs have expressed their
>> inability to read and participate on any of our mailing lists. Any
>> ideas about what we could do here? Is Walter's Community Newsletter
>> enough? What about when we know that their feedback is needed?
>>

> Well a lot email is hard to read for me:
> - I find a lot sentences / abbreviations hard to read
> - top posting
> - subjects no changing with the topic
> - I got cc'ed halfway a thread
> - some mail are 4-5 times (cc'ing / crossposting)
>

> So I know I miss messages where I could serve.
>
> My suggestions (not much news):
> - no top posting
> - reply to list (less cc's)

Hmm, some people do cc people to highlight specific persons some do
remove cc and only post to the list to keep traffic low. We should at
least have a guideline about it, otherwise you can not rely on a
constant income-stream.

Same is true to top posting. Of course these are preferences. We should
decide on a guideline and then all follow it us much as possible.

Where I think we are doing ok is the use of tags in sugar ([ANNOUNCE],
[DESIGN], [RELEASE], [FEATURE]). At least this works very well for me to
search for emails I have to read.

Regards,
    Simon