[IAEP] GCompris was Re: Sugar Digest 2010-01-07

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Tue Jan 12 20:44:14 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 19:24, Caroline Meeks <solutiongrove at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> === In the community ===
> >>
> >> 2. Bruno Coudoin announced the release of GCompris Version 9.0.
> >> Aleksey is already working on making sure that it is properly packaged
> >> for Sugar and available on http://activities.sugarlabs.org.
> >>

> > Congrats to the GComris team!  I have found GCompris activities a
> valuable
> > addition to Sugar and look forward to the upgrade.
> > GCompris also has a groups model that allows some teacher
> > administration:
> http://gcompris.net/wiki/index.php/Manual#Administering_GCompris
> > Did the upgrade touch this part of the project? Does anyone know if
> anyone
> > is thinking about how to make this functionality available to teachers
> using
> > Sugar?
>
> Didn't got many answers when I asked about similar functionality on
> the Teachermate. My guess is that Sugar is supposed to be deployable
> in some situations where the data sharing solutions in the Teachermate
> and GCompris don't work.

Having the teacher functionality potentially available where there is an XS
doesn't have to mean the activities won't work when there isn't one. I was
just checking to see the status.

My memory about Teachermate was there were people interested in working on
Teachermate teacher system but they wanted assurances that the Teachermate
activities were going to be released under a GPL or CC license and an idea
of how much content there was.  There were no answers on that.

Thanks,
Caroline