[IAEP] apt-get upgrade broke TOAST

Martin Sevior msevior at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 17:24:51 EST 2010

Hi Kevin,
            Ubuntu has decided to demote AbiWord, a core component of
sugar, to Universe. As a Ubuntu user you might like to comment on this
at bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/503578

Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: abiword

Hi,

Abiword is currently waiting for some universe b-deps, thus holding the
build.

There seems to be no good reason for abiword to stay in main.
The Desktop team folks don't care for it:
<seb128> I don't care enough abiword to write a mir for it
[...]
<seb128> charlie-tca, either move abiword to universe or find somebody
interested to get the build-depends sorted

Nobody is currently maintaining it in Ubuntu, but it's maintained in
Debian, and there is no reason to introduce a delta because it's in
main.

If Xubuntu is the only derivative to use it, please demote it in
universe so we can sync it from Debian (and it'll build correctly). If
it's still in main because another random derivative needs it, someone
from this derivative development team should decide to maintain it.

It's stuck like this (poorly maintained) since xubuntu was demoted to
universe (hardy): the desktop team folks (seb128) keep saying "I don't
care", we (Xubuntu devs) keep asking to demote it to universe, but it's
not done because of an obscure reason (edubuntu?), yet no edubuntu
developer stepped up to maintain it (if it's in main, it means that
abiword is supported by Canonical, isn't it? This was the reason invoked
to demote Xubuntu to universe, so please do the same for abiword).

Thanks!

** Affects: abiword (Ubuntu)

--
Demote to universe?