[IAEP] Math on Web

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 11:41:37 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:31, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> Here is a page on 4 YouTube Math Tutors
> http://www.squidoo.com/Youtube-Math-Tutors
> I think Gerald is right, we need a general way to help Sugar Teachers use
> YouTube resources.
> Can people help me brainstorm?
> Challenges to using YouTube Resources:
>
> YouTube is blocked by the district

Get someone else to download videos, and put them on the school
server, or provide them on USB keys.

> No internet access

As above. An alternative approach is to fund Internet access through
microfinance, taking advantage of the business opportunities that
Internet opens up.

> Bandwidth if everyone is watching a video at once

Collaboration should allow one XO to download, and share with others.
Otherwise, cache on server.

> Workflow/Classflow challenges how do we get the kids watching the video we
> want them to watch and doing the work before and after to make it a learning
> experience.

Lesson plans. Yes, we need thousands of lesson plans.

> Legal issues, what is and isn't fair use of the a YouTube resource?

Ask source to license under CC, or redo in a different version. The
ideas are not subject to copyright, just the expression of the ideas,
meaning words and images. Get children to make their own versions as
homework, once they understand Record, Scratch, and sufficient subject
matter.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/