[IAEP] Kurzweil in Wine?

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Wed Feb 17 18:50:11 EST 2010

Hi Caroline,

   > I've seen a great deal of interest in Text to Speech.  Students
   > with severe enough disabilities to qualify get Kurzweil, but it
   > costs $1000 for a one seat licence!

There's text-to-speech software for GNOME (so, generally compatible
with Sugar) called Orca:  http://live.gnome.org/Orca

It'd be a great project to integrate this formally with Sugar.

   > I'm curious if anyone has played with Wine on Sugar and
   > how well it would work to let some kids still have access to
   > Kurzweil even when using Sugar?

I think it would not work, because Wine will not have access to
anything happening in Sugar.

   > Also does anyone know what they are using in Uruguay with
   > vision-impaired students?

Not sure -- a few .uy deployment engineers are around on the -devel@
lists, so they can be asked directly.

Thanks,