[IAEP] Scenarios for licensing our trademarks

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 05:28:53 EST 2010

I don't think brand-building - raising awareness of what we do - is an
eithor/or proposition killing collaboration. However, I guarantee 100%
that a weak trademark policy will lead to no awareness raised. The
challenge of marketing is to get people who don't know or care about
something to do so.

Mozilla has done a fabulous job of building market share from marginal
Netscape, and a brand from zero. Just look at how Microsoft has been
steadily losing market share monthly for years. That would not have
been remotely possible without a strong brand and smart marketing (the
full-page NYT ad for the v1, a classic manifesto). I don't understand
how they have killed collaboration when they have a vibrant ecosystem
of add-ons, with a portal useful enough for adapting to the ASLO
portal.

The GNU GPL succeeded in copyright because it was well-thought-out.
What we are aiming for is a trademark policy as effective as Ray
Dolby's or Intel's, but without the cost, designed to raise awareness
where it isn't - teachers and education tech buyers.

This wouldn't be as necessary if the distros had strong brands and
could promote Sugar. However, unfortunately they don't. In our
ecosystem, the strongest brand is "the little green $100 computer with
the crank", the image most people likely have of the project. Sadly,
none of OLPC's brand equity leverages Sugar, which is always absent
from press releases, absent from the boot screen, given short shrift
on the OLPC website, etc (cf.
http://laptop.org/en/laptop/software/index.shtml with screenshots but
not even a link to the Sugar Labs website). The most fruitful
marketing collaboration Sugar could obtain would be from OLPC. In this
regard, I am hopeful that Walter's trip to Miami will improve that
impasse, there's a lot of work to do.

Sean