[IAEP] Still need to know: How do I switch the keyboard to another character set?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 11:21:23 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 14:04, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
> H Gary and alli,
>
> I am using 852. Changed to Urdu in settings.  Trying to use Write.  Writing
> across the top is in Urdu, but I am unable to enter Urdu text.  It does not
> appear in the list of fonts.  All I get are the regular ABC letters. Urdu
> wasn't listed in texts to choose from.

I am looking at an XO running build 852, Sugar 0.84.16. It has a
Language setting, but none for Keyboard. This means that you can
change keyboard only at the command line. For a Pakistani Urdu keymap,
the command in Terminal is

setxkbmap pk

I recommend that you enter

setxkbmap us

beforehand, so that you can recall it from the terminal history with
up-arrow in order to get out of Urdu.

Or create a script file

#!/bin/bash
setxkbmap us