[IAEP] Still Trying... How do I switch the keyboard to another character set?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 08:01:57 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 2:23 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Folks...
>
> Still trying!  As noted below, I followed Tim's instructions and downloaded
> the Urdu character set.  However, I was not able to access it from Write.  I
> spent some time working on this with a person who speaks and reads several
> middle eastern languages. Any ideas?  What should I try next?  Has anyone
> changed to another character set on their own rather than getting it that
> way from the factory?

There are three different issues here being convolved: the language, the
font, and the keyboard. You should be able to use the Sugar control panel to
set the language so that Urdu is used for menus, messages, etc. (it appears
Urdu only has about 20% coverage at the moment); instructions for loading
the font have already been described earlier in the thread (without the
proper font, you'll see the funny Unicode squares); and the keyboard, which
comes with a factory default to match the physical keyboard installed on the
machine. To override this setting, use the instructions found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customizing_NAND_images#Keyboard

-walter

> Caryl
>
> ------------------------------
> From: cbigenho at hotmail.com
> To: support-gang at lists.laptop.org
> Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 12:41:09 -0800
> Subject: Re: [support-gang] [IAEP] How do I switch the keyboard to another
> character set?
>
> Thanks Tim.  The download seems to have gone smoothly. It reported that
> paktype/teheer is now available.  However, when I went to the Write
> Activity, it did not appear among the available choices. Will it have a
> different name?  There are several fonts labeled with letter codes such as
> kacstPen, cmsy10, wasy10, etc.
>
> Caryl
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 08:45:00 +1300
> From: mcnamara.tim at gmail.com
> To: support-gang at lists.laptop.org
> Subject: Re: [support-gang] [IAEP] How do I switch the keyboard to another
> character set?
>
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>  Hi...
>
> Ed Cherlin suggests installing an Urdu font (on the XO, I assume).  So,
> where do I find instructions for doing this and the file I would need to
> download to the XO?  Why isn't it already there or on the wiki.  People are
> using Urdu keyboards, right?
>
> Caryl
>

> Hi Caryl,
>
> This was hinted at during the original answer. Connect the XO to the
> Internet, open the Terminal Activity and run
>
> yum install ttf-paktype/tehreer
>
> This asks Fedora to install the typeface for you. Do let me know how you
> get on.
>
> Tim
>   @timClicks
>   Director, Kiwi PyCon 2011