[IAEP] World Bank Apps for Development

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Thu Dec 16 16:50:33 EST 2010

> Has anyone from the Sugar community considered making an entry to the
> Apps for Development contest?
>
>   http://appsfordevelopment.challengepost.com/
>
> A requirement is that the application use a data set from the World
> Bank. This might make it difficult to make something for children, but
> I'm sure someone cleverer than me can work out an angle to take.

A possible angle is suggested by the Sliderule Activity

As well as allowing pairings of standard scales from a list, the user can create custom sliderules with fragments of Python code, for example hexadecimal sliderules. Suitable for upper secondary school, this is where the deep thinking is.

It might be possible to write graphing software that as well as displaying some standard graphs, also allows the user to create custom graphs with Python code, for example log(population) vs sqrt(GNP)

Tony