[IAEP] Will This Work??? / Open Schoolserver

Frits Hoff f.hoff at openwijs.nl
Sat Dec 11 04:41:24 EST 2010

The Dutch foundation is managing small OLPC pilots in 10 different
countries.
http://www.openwijs.nl/referenties/olpc
Bitfrost would be very usefull but we could never find actual
information about Bitfrost, only old information like the first link
hereunder.
Does Bitfrost really excist on the XO or not?
Or only on XO's in large deployments?

in Senegal we used the XS schoolserver for the first time, it just
started a month ago
With Moodle you can easily see what the children do with learning
material in Moodle, privacy is not a problem in this way

We discussed about the XS at TEDx in Brussels, with OLPC France members,
Christoph Derndorfer and Frederik Questier of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel
The idea of the XS is very nice although we, and OLPC France, had a lot
of problems with installing it
It works nice on a cheap PC (we were lucky?) as a server, although the
manual is far from complete and the scripts are not always logical
If you want an affordable but professional server with Raid 1 it was not
yet possible for us to install it.
Maybe it is better to use an universal Linux server protocol and write
some scripts for the features we need?
Not to produce a better XS schoolserver but an Open Schoolserver for
universal use? (an idea of Frederik Questier)

Moodle is not easy for people who use an electronic learning environment
for the first time.
Although our foundation offers also Moodle most of our clients choose
Chamilo (former known as Dokeos) when they tested both systems.
In a commercial view not nice for us because most of them don't need
training to use it :(
And that's a big compliment for Chamilo.
Chamilo 2.0 will be even better, completely redesigned.
http://www.chamilo.org/en/news/Chamilo%202.0%20beta%202%2C%20now%20available%20for%20download!
It would be nice to start a discussion with a test about this.

If we would like to have also Chamilo on the Open Schoolserver the head
developer Yannick Warnier is willing to give a lot of support to do this.

with kind regards,

Frits Hoff

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Bitfrost#P_DOCUMENT:_file_store_service

IAEP at lists.sugarlabs.org