[IAEP] [realness] a school is not a building

Dr. Gerald Ardito gerald.ardito at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 08:21:52 EST 2010

I think back to the various work (especially Piaget, Vygotsky, and Papert)
that investigates learning as a social phenomenon.
The XO Laptops and Sugar derive directly, in my humble opinion, from these
principles, especially Papert's concept of Constructionism.
The issue for me, then, is not schools versus laptops (or some other
technology), but how these devices and their software can be used to shape
the learning environment itself.
I have seen classrooms in my school change (in terms of student
independence) as a result of the students being deeply engaged with the XOs
and Sugar. This change has been reflected in both the students and their
teachers.
I think more focus should be spent on this ecosystem of learning.

Best,
Gerald