[IAEP] "Mesh" Dreams = OLSR

Reuben K. Caron reuben at laptop.org
Tue Aug 24 12:17:47 EDT 2010

On Aug 24, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Richard A. Smith wrote:

> I'm not talking about comparison to our previous mesh.

Thanks keeping me on track.

> I'm talking about comparison to an AP.  Overall we currently don't
> have much need for "mesh" as most of our scenarios are a dense cloud
> of children in the same space trying to network with each other.

Fo deployments that have funding for APs there is not much need for
"mesh." I would approximate that roughly 66% of our user base are in
deployments that do not have funding for APs.

> The network-without-infra feature of "mesh" is certainly useful in
> scenarios were you want to provide access over a wider area.  Its a
> very important feature of mesh but its just not the feature we need
> on the ground ATM.

Yet, this is a "feature," we continue to sell and a feature often
requested.

> However, if the same mesh smartness also gets density without using
> AP's then that's a big win.

Agreed!

Reuben