[IAEP] Looking for suggestions

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 22:29:20 EDT 2010

Brett,

You might want to check out a couple of FLOSS Manuals I put together.
The first one is finished, and is about developing Sugar Activities.
The second is in progress and is about finding, using, creating and
publishing e-books.

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ActivitiesGuideSugar/Introduction

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ReadingandSugar/Introduction

Personally I think that Sugar is suited to high school students, and
could be made more so with a bit of work on the Journal.  My Activity
Sugar Commander shows some ideas of what a more grown-up version of
the Journal might be like.

The new XOs will ship with both Sugar and GNOME, a desktop environment
like Windows but without the viruses.  This should make them quite
appealing to older students.

If you learn how to make e-books as described in the second book you
can use them on several different platforms, including those cheap
Android tablets that are coming out.  There are lots of free e-books,
many of which would be of interest to high school students.

Let me know what you think.

James Simmons