[IAEP] SD card booting, USB stick sizes (was: Re: [SoaS] SoaS on What Machines?)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Fri Apr 23 05:16:17 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 07:12:18PM -0700, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:

> One problem with acer aspire one:
> It will not boot from an SD slot (see notes below), [...]
Ouch, good to know. I would have expected this to work on laptop
("netbook") that comes with a built-in SD card slot.

> My lexar SD to USB adapter lets an SD boot but then it sticks out the
> side. : /
I guess you already know, but others may not: There are "nano" USB
sticks (e.g. Delock "USB 2.0 Nano Memory Stick" [1]) that stick out only
slightly, thus the risk of it breaking off is minimal. For MicroSD cards
similar sized card "readers" are available (e.g. Delock "USB 2.0 Card
Reader micro SD/micro SDHC" [2]). (*)

(*) I have no experience with these models and provide the links merely
to give an impression of the kind of product I'm talking about.
[1]
http://delock.com/produkte/gruppen/Speichermodule/Delock_USB_20_Nano_Memory_stick_4GB_54220.html
[2]
http://delock.com/produkte/gruppen/Card-Reader/Delock_USB_20_Card_Reader_micro_SDSLASHmicro_SDHC_91677.html