[IAEP] [support-gang] Quake Catcher Network

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 23:44:29 EDT 2010

Provincia San Luis in Argentina is doing an amazing project of
calculating the carbon footprint of every community in the Provincia,
the kids go house byhouse interviewing the families on what kind of
appliances they have, number of lightbulbs, etc.  Classmates running
winnows, alas.

Please disregard the rest of my response below - I'm into nonsense, no
need to take any of that seriously, I just find it somewhat quaint I
fell into that, so I'm leaving it there

as to massive data gathering, something on the lines of weather projects
could be fascinating, with adequate sensors.  Anyway, so far we haven't
even been able to figure out even what it is that kids use their
computers for, which simply would require to see / spider / datamine the
Journals.  To assume that we will be able to have kids regularly upload
information, and also somehow will we manage to get them previously the
proper sensors...

Now, with *adequate* data processing, having weather data moving across
a locality with a couple hundred sensors *accurately* located would be
terrific, especially cross referencing that with satellite data and
doing it over a significant span of time.

Same difficulty with anything of this kind.  It's cute this was
originally sold as something that would use accelerometers in computers,
but, oh, it turns out you need separate sensors.

I've seen a few very clever Science Fair seismic sensors, but even the
cheapest ones can run beyond what is practical to consider as individual
expenses.  And don't forget calibrating them, etc. I would be surprised
a sensor that actually can give useful information would cost less than
an XO!