[IAEP] Local software installation

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Thu Apr 15 21:16:13 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 14:48 -0400, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>
>> For a future release cycle, we may want to re-evaluate yum-updatesd as
>> an alternative to olpc-updates which provides different trade-offs in
>> terms of performance, robustness and distro integration. At the time
>> olpc-update was written, yum was still awfully buggy and unreliable.

This wasn't why olpc-update was designed differently than yum.

At litl we use an apt-based distro.  We still have a whole-system update tool.

I believe it to be a fundamental mistake to confuse package-based
update tools with image-based update tools.

Which is entirely orthogonal to the "local package installation"
question -- but I couldn't let you get so far off track in your second
sentence.  Let's keep our terminology straight: "image updater",
"root-only package updater", and "local user package updater".  These
are three different tasks, and could easily be three separate tools,
for three different use cases.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )