[IAEP] ANNOUNCE: F11 for the XO-1 build 140py released

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Apr 15 14:48:07 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 19:35 -0300, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On 14 April 2010 13:22, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> >  * Remove olpc-update and disable the /versions kludge (me, smparrish)
>
> Great work Bernie!
> This is the only bit that seems a bit surprising to me.

I noticed that Stephen Parrish had removed olpc-update from F11-XO1,
which made /versions also superfluous. Besides the nice saving in space,
disabling the versioned fs considerably sped up olpc-os-builder.

> Granted, the /versions system is a little perplexing (but it works,
> and is being shipped on XO-1.5, so it has good support in the present
> day). And granted, it doesn't work for large substantial updates, and
> doesn't update activities.
>
> But it is a nice system for small updates, with fairly good
> documentation. It has only a 15mb overhead. I also set up all the
> infrastructure in Paraguay to push these to schools and XOs
> automatically, and we actually rolled out a tiny update in 1 school to
> test it (worked perfectly first time). And I documented it.
>
> Being the first deployment to run with this substantial software
> update, it seems somewhat likely that you'll find a few niggly bugs
> that would be nice to fix in the coming weeks. olpc-update would
> provide you with a mechanism to do that with minimal effort.

Hmmm... perhaps I should reconsider this decision. We'd first have to do
some testing to ensure your original work still works well with F11-XO1.

Last time I looked, the hostname of the update server was hardcoded
inside olpc-update. Did you create a custom package to point it at the
schoolserver?

For a future release cycle, we may want to re-evaluate yum-updatesd as
an alternative to olpc-updates which provides different trade-offs in
terms of performance, robustness and distro integration. At the time
olpc-update was written, yum was still awfully buggy and unreliable.