[IAEP] [SPAM]An intelligent sneakernet for the XO.

William Schaub wschaub at steubentech.com
Tue Apr 13 17:07:08 EDT 2010

I was encouraged by some people at the RIT OLPC user's group to make a
post on this mailing list about a project of mine that is in the proof
of concept stage at the moment but needs a bit of polish.

The idea is basically a decentralized discussion forum that
automatically propagates itself amongst all XO laptops that are in
range. I've created a working (but somewhat clunky) system that does
exactly that using some clever Perl scripts, the innd usenet server and
a web based interface to news that runs on top of lighttpd on the XO.

You can see what I have done so far at http://teotwawki.steubentech.com
I have a working LiveCD as well as downloads that will work on an XO.

I am interested in adding polish to this system and making it a lot more
user friendly. I would also like to create a streamlined version that
could work on smart phones and other mobile devices. either via
bluetooth or 802.11. I have propagation working through USB thumb drive
exchange and do intend to make dialup transfers work in the future.

The CVS version is currently more up to date and has bug fixes that the
current downloads do not have. but I can re-roll the downloads if anyone
is interested.

I just wanted to get your comments and see how I could best turn this
into something that could benefit the OLPC community
as well as the general public at large.