[IAEP] [SLOBS] In-person SLOBs meeting, Boston, Tuesday?

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Apr 9 20:56:23 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 18:29 +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
> Well, I'm flying to Boston specifically to overcome the limitations of
> electronic discussion.

This may not be what people who are soon going to fly across the ocean
to attend a crucial meeting would like to hear, but I'm not sure we have
a problem of the kind that could be fixed by switching to a different
communication medium, language or location.

By now, we've clearly expressed all our positions, listened to the
opposite viewpoints and debated the points of disagreement in great
detail. Let's face it: we simply happen to have wildly opposite opinions
on this particular topic and, being aware of its importance, we're
reluctant to make steps in the direction of a mid-ground compromise.

If everyone comes to this meeting with the purpose of illustrating their
original stance more clearly, I'm afraid we won't make much progress.

Cecilia Alcala, who is very good at diplomacy, gave this advice: someone
should write a draft policy and distribute it to all participants ahead
of the meeting. The objective of the meeting will be to work together on
a number of amendments to this initial draft, until it becomes
acceptable to the majority of voters. Each participant would have to
make some compromises, or trade mutual compromises.

My position seems to be the most extremist in the liberal camp, which
means I'll have to swallow more compromises than other fellow slobs.