[IAEP] Which Language?

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 26 00:00:23 EDT 2009

Hi All,

On Thursday, Ben wrote in the IAEP list:

"My feeling is that the most important thing we can do in this area is to
make it easy to write Activities that are intrinsically cross-platform.
To borrow a phrase, one way to do this is to choose languages, and
interpreters, that are incapable of expressing platform dependencies."

So I have a question for you folks. I am in discussion with a college CS prof who
would like to teach beginning programming with XOs. He is interested in trying
several different languages, but I am interested in pointing him toward the one
that would result in the most universally usable Activities with the idea that
his students would be able to write Activities as class projects that could then
be widely distributed.

It would be great if they would be, as Ben suggests, cross-platform. By that, I mean
usable on the XO-1, XO-1.5, SoaS, live CD, etc. for PCs and Intel Macs. Of course my
dream ideal is that they would also be able to be run on the old PowerPC Macs that
are still widely used in the public schools, but that is probably too much too hope for.

So...the question is, what should I tell him?

Caryl (aka SweetXOGrannie)