[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] A Virtual Box solution that works with Sticks

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Sep 23 22:19:45 EDT 2009

Hi Dave,

On 24 Sep 2009, at 01:55, Dave Bauer wrote:

> Last I checked virtualbox could not boot from USB on a Mac. This may
> have changed in a more recent version.

Yep correct, that is still the case**. But, we were not talking about
booting USB. Just mounting it and using the data-store from there,
tweaking a VM for deployment 'should' be small change. This of course
runs into all the 'what version of Sugar is installed in the VM' vs.
'what version of data-store is installed on the stick' but for a small
deployment with control over both, and with specific HW needs, I don't
see this as an issue.

Additionally, if some data-store validation checks could be put in
place I could even see this being a very positive feature for Soas and/
or upstream Sugar; an ideal little solvable issue for the two to
resolve in a way that would benefit any deployments with old or not
currently compatible hardware (where either the OS or a VM has to be
run from the physical machine).

** unless you put the whole damn vdi on the stick and forgo the idea
of booting the stick independently as a normal OS, though there could
be room to investigate booting of a small partition with a reliable
host OS that did nothing but dive right into the VM for those cases.
Seems doable, but scary. Would much rather spend effort in finding a
way to boot a USB directly – likely requires providing a Mac only
image, though they can quite happily boot from USB, they just require
correct boot formats (EFI for Intel Macs) but current Linux's seems
well behind that curve. Most other HW manufacturers are still on old
BIOS set-ups, Macs can support this for booting, Boot Camp does just
this, but not for booting from USB devices unfortunately.

Regards,
--Gary